Being Kind On The Fourth Of July

6:26:00 PM Natalie S 0 Comments


Picture this with me. The 4th of July is a great time of year. Families and friends get together all over the country to celebrate the independence of this great nation. People will be grilling hotdogs and burgers. There will potato salad, coleslaw and corn on the cob sitting on tables decorated with American flag tablecloths. Kids will be running around and jumping through sprinklers. There will be watermelon eating contest, and seed spitting contest, three-legged race, and water balloon throwing contest at festivals nationwide. Hundreds of thousands of sparklers will be lit at dusk. At the same time there will be masses of people huddled on blankets and in bag chairs to watch fireworks go off. It's a wonderful holiday enjoyed by all.

All, that is, except for those who aren't as lucky and have to work that holiday weekend. Now I fully understand I choose to work at a place that is insanely busy this time of year. I know what to expect and what is to come. I know that in these next few days I am going to be dog tired, slightly stressed, and wishing for it to be October already. Don't get me wrong I love the fourth of July. Like I said, it's a great time of year. 

As you go on vacation this holiday weekend, whereever that may be, may I make one simple request, please be kind to those who are stuck working. If you take the weekend to go out to eat remember so are thousands of others. Your servers, cooks, hostesses, bartenders, etc. already have enough to deal with than to have to put up with someone who is impossible to please. During the holiday season customers can be awfully rude and sometimes down right nasty to restaurant workers. 

You're on vacation (at least not at work), for goodness sake. Relax, slow down, enjoy the time with your family and friends. Try not to be in such a rush. Yes, we realize that we are busy, no I cannot give you the exact time a table will open up, I assure you we are going as fast as we can. After all we are all human here. 

So as you go out this holiday weekend, just be kind to those who have to work. It'll make our day and yours that much better, I promise you. 

Read more about 4th of July adventures, here

You Might Also Like

0 comments: