Graduating College Pt. 1

8:26:00 PM Natalie S 0 Comments

When writing one of these sentimental posts does anyone really know where to start? I sure don't.

Let's go all the way back to the beginning...

Fall 2011/Spring 2012

I don't remember the complete details, but I do remember I had a rough first week, month, semester. I feel like a lot of freshmen do. If you know me, I am a fighter. Things may try to tear me down, but I fight to stay standing. Freshman year was the biggest fight I had. I changed friends faster than Usain Bolt. I faced challenges that seemed to big for life.

I went through some of the biggest losses in my life that year. Two of the most kind-hearted people left this earth to be with God. One by choice the other by accident, both by surprise.

I switch my major. No one, not even me saw this coming. My entire life, and I mean ENTIRE life, I wanted to be a dental hygienist. To be honest, part of me still does. I switched to Advertising/Integrated Marketing Communications. To this day it was one of the best decisions of my life. Also, one of the most challenging.

I met a friend who, even though we don't talk anymore, I still am grateful to have met. She is still one of the biggest influences in my life.

I challenged myself to open up a little bit more. I taught myself that life isn't going to be fun living closed off.

My aunt told me something I will never forget. "Never forget who you are and where you come from."

I learned that it's okay to make a fool out of yourself. At least you are making people laugh, and laughter is the best. Also, not to get embarrassed about so much.

On to my list of thanks...

Thank you to my first roommate who taught me that if I don't like the situation I am in, I need to change it.

Thank you to my second roommate who taught me that bullies will be bullies and you have to stand up to them. Stand your ground. Fight, but don't fight back. There is no need to sink to their level.

Thank you to the many friends who made the first year all possible.
Anna, Taylor, Sammie, Jon, Travis, Alex, Byron, Mike, Garrett, Jenny, and many more.

Thank you Amanda K. and Kayla W., for helping me make it through Micro Bio even though I was leaving the science program.

Thank you Tom Mehl, for helping me transition into the AIMC program. You helped me then and still continue to do so.

Thank you to my cousin Eric for making the trip to Copper Harbor over Christmas break, who knew that that trip would start a 5 year tradition.


Writing this post has flooded my mind with memories...

The night Garrett called me at 2-3 am because he had just hit a deer and didn't know what to do. I also hung up on him the first time, because you don't wake me up from a slumber. I'm glad I did eventually pick up.

The day my grandparents drove to Big Rapids just to bring me medicine.

Going for drives with Stopher and Sammie and 2 am.


My freshmen year was full of ups and downs. I do not regret a single moment of it.




You Might Also Like

0 comments: